10 hacks that you NEED at uni
Being a uni student can be pretty stressful, and there are so many small ways you can make life easier.
Whether you’re a little short of money, feel that your cooking game is weak or unsure of how to recycle items, worry not as you’ve come to the right page!
These 10 handy life hacks will turn you into a thrifty guru in no time:
1) Nutella Hot Chocolate
Craving something sweet but realise you’re a bit skint? You’re bound to have a jar of Nutella lurking in the bottom of your cupboard somewhere. Turn this delicious hazelnut spread into a dreamy hot chocolate, by simply mixing warm milk to as many spoons of this chocolate heaven as you desire!
2) Clean your dusty keyboard
Use a post-it note to clean your keyboard. Simply drag the sticky side of the post-it note in between the keys and voila, you’ll find the crumbs of yesterday’s sandwich banished for good!
3) Straighten those creases
Are you in the middle of getting ready for a night out and find that your outfit is a little creased? Feeling a little lazy to iron? Well, you can use your hair straighteners! This works amazingly on shirt collars too, just check the material of your clothing item first.
3) Sell old books for cash
You might have some books lying around that you don’t need anymore. Or you’re if you're in your second year of uni you might not need your books from first year. Get in touch with your lecturers and find out if their new students are in need of books.
4) Fresh scented kicks
Avoid having pongy feet in lecture and get rid of the smelly foot odour in no time: pop some bicarbonate soda in your shoes and give them a shake, then let them sit overnight. When you check the next day, your shoes will smell as fresh as a daisy.
5) Stop crying over chopped onions
If you think crying over your ex was painful, try chopping an onion! No one should have to cry over these little bulbs, so we have just the hack for this. Before chopping an onion, soak it in cold water for about a minute. Now you can chop away without needing a tissue.
7) Get rid of bobbly clothes
Have you ever come across those annoying, little, round bits of fluff that seem to stick to your jumpers, socks and clothing items? We know you’ve tried picking them off but they just get worse and worse. Well, you can blast those pests away with a razor! Be careful not to use too much force as we don't want you tearing your clothes.
8) Leaky bin no more!
Avoid having to get in contact with the slime at the bottom of the bin: pop some newspaper at the bottom of the bag when putting on a fresh bin liner. This will help absorb any liquid and prevent those nasty drips from occurring when you empty the bins again.
9) Keep clothes tidy with bin bags
Keep your clothes on their hangers and get your hands on a bin liner. Make a hole on the sealed side of the bag and pull your hanger handle. You now have a cheap suit cover and your clothes are also protected! This will avoid any creases from folding all your clothes.
10) Save a load of washing
White sheets might look clean and crisp but that’s only if you maintain them properly. This means washing them separately from other colours and washing them frequently to keep them white. Invest in some colour catchers so that they don’t feel isolated in the wash, allowing them to join the foam party with all the other clothes. Happy days!
There you have it, all the hacks you need to have an easy student life.
- Read Next
- Advice from a recent graduate How to do your laundry with Circuit How to be a tidy student Get hyped for uni! Have you checked out our online shop? Things I wish I knew before starting uni... 10 things you need to do BEFORE starting uni Have you got the Uniguard App? Pack like a pro: Essential items to take to uni 10 things that happen on every group holiday Your first fortnight at uni bucketlist! Hacks that could save you some serious cash Things that happen when you go home for summer... All the fashion essentials for a British summer
- Pack like a pro: Essential items to take to uni How to be a tidy student Walsall: Explore your accommodation! Have you checked out our online shop? Your first fortnight at uni bucketlist!