Wimbledon is finally upon us!
Instead of just watching the match with some Pimms and/or popcorn in hand not having a clue what's going on, pay attention to this and you'll be a pro.
Starting with the basics: The game starts with a coin toss or a spin of the tennis racket to decide who serves first.
To ease you in, this is the court...
- Singles = the ball is out if it goes over the singles sidelines or the baseline.
- Doubles = the ball is out when it goes over the double sideline.
- The ball can only bounce once or not at all before a player hits it.
The ball has to hit the opposite service box to where they are stood.
- Fault = if the ball doesn’t make it into the service box.
- Double fault = if they fail to serve the ball into the service box a second time, the opposition gets the point.
- Foot Fault = if their foot crosses the baseline prior to hitting the serve.
- The server role switches after a game to the other player.
- Sets = a set is won when a player wins six games with two games clear of their opponent. (If a set reaches 5-5, the set must be won 7-5)
- Points = 15, 30, 40 and game.
- Deuce = when both players reach 40 points (one player then has to score two consecutive points to win)
- Advantage = when a player at deuce has won one point (if they lose the second point, it goes back to deuce.)
So there you have the basic rules of tennis, everything you need to know. They weren't that difficult, were they?