5 reasons why you SHOULD recycle
Recycling has many environmental benefits. It saves energy, conserves natural resources, limits pollution, and supports several sectors of the economy...
So why not do your bit for the environment today?
Here are the 5 reasons why we should recycle:
- Recycling is good for the economy
Recycling and purchasing recycled products creates a greater demand for more recycled goods. Goods made from recycled materials use less water, creates less pollution and uses less energy.
- Recycling reduces landfills
Recycling reduces the need for more landfills. No one wants to live next to a landfill.
- Recycling preserves our resources & protects wildlife
By recycling, we reduce the need to destroy habitats for animals. Paper recycling alone saves millions of trees.
- Recycling saves energy
Recycling saves energy because the manufacturer doesn’t have to produce something new from raw natural resources. By using recycled materials we save on energy consumption, which keeps production costs down.
- Recycling helps our climate problems
Recycling produces considerably less carbon, which reduces the amount of unhealthy greenhouse gas omissions.
So how can you do your bit for the environment whilst on campus?
- Recycling: Any materials that can be recycled i.e cans, bottles, tins etc. should be put into a clear rubbish bag and disposed of in the recycling bins provided. These are the grey bins with the Green lids.
- General Waste: Any general rubbish and food waste must be disposed of in a black rubbish bag and disposed of in the plain grey bins.
The waste & recycling areas can be found:
- The side of Durham House (RMD) - this is a recycling & non-recycling waste area
- Opposite Vatersay House (RMV) - this is a recycling & non-recycling waste area
- Randall Lines Rubbish Chute (RMR) - Please ensure that you put your rubbish bags down the rubbish chute provided and that you do not leave them on the floor within the chute room, also ensure that you only use the bin bags provided. If the chute does become blocked, report the issue on FixIT! or inform a member of staff.
- Opposite Caldmore (RWB) - this is a recycling & non-recycling waste area
- At entrace of Gorway Halls of Residence site - this is a recycling & non-recycling waste area
- Opposite Jackfield & Kinlet House (RSj & RSK) - this is a recycling & non-recycling waste area
British Heart Foundation
Finding you have too much stuff or in need of a clear out? Why not pick up a British Heart Foundation Charity Bag from Accommodation Services and donate your unwanted goods.
We have red donation bins located:
- Opposite Vatersay House (RMV)
- In between Kent House (RMK) & Lancashire House (RML)
- Ground Floor Lobby Randall Lines (RMR)
Not sure what you can donate? You can find a full list on the British Heart Foundation Website.
- Read Next
- It's no laughing matter Action Counters Terrorism Living in halls? Amazon Lockers Available At All Campuses Which society will you join at WLV? Your facilities guide! Vending Machines: What and Where?! Get 25p off with our reusable Starbucks cup! We can FixIT! Best places to study during exam season
- How to do your laundry with Circuit Budget costume ideas you NEED for Halloween 8 stress fighting foods you NEED in your diet The MX Building is now known as The Housman Building DPS - Digital Print Services